Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 15: Staying Present



I remember I took up meditation when I was very young, because I couldn't focus. Because I wanted to play the piano desperately and I couldn't focus, I had a problem. I worked at it, and over time, I became a very focused musician. With all the life changes that have happened to me over the past few years, it's more challenging to stay present. I find my mind wandering when I play the piano.
I once met a guy who could read books while playing old Jazz standards on the piano. I couldn't understand it, but now I too am capable of reading and talking while playing. It's just a sign that I have practiced for a long time. It doesn't mean the song sounds it's best. It actually sounds ok, but nothing to brag about. If my attention is completely on the music, it sounds amazing. Note by note is the only true way to play, and today I am getting a little closer to getting that old focus back.

No comments:

Post a Comment