Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Healing Power of Music

Yesterday, my mom, my husband, and in-laws all drove to the airport to see my brother-in-law, Nick, leave for Iraq. It was sad to see him go. The peace activist in me felt a little angry that Nick, who is in the Coast Guard, has to go off to be a part of this stupid and pointless war, But, as the daughter of a Vietnam Veteran, I am 100% behind him. I'm proud of Nick for his willingness to fight for his country, despite my personal politics.

As you can imagine, his family was very, very sad and worried to see him leave.  Last night when we were all sitting around outside, they asked me to play some music. I have been working on some children's music that is lighthearted and humorous, so that's what I played. By the end of the performance, everyone was laughing and smiling, and I was too. Music helped us all to feel a little relief despite the circumstances.

Music has always be a refuge for me, and probably for you too. Here in Jacksonville, FL, the radio station seems to constantly play an old song that goes like this: "Give me the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away. Thanks for the joy that you've given me. I want you to know I believe in your song. Rhythm and rhyme and harmony. I'm counting on you to see me through..."

What a perfect message. I am so grateful for music. I hope Nick and his friends all get to hear some music over there.

1 comment:

  1. Its always sad to seem them go.

    The service is appreciated.

    Nice music selection.

    ReplyDelete