Thursday, February 17, 2011

Soundtrack For A Revolution

A few weeks ago, I was at a student's house discussing Black History Month and music. When I told them about my interest in how music played a role in the Civil Rights Movement, my student's mom whipped out a DVD and said, "Well you're gonna love this!" Turns out, my student's father created a film on this very subject! Amazing! That's what living in Los Angeles is like. You never really know who you are talking to.

I brought it home and watched the whole thing. About 15 minutes into it, I even saw a riot scene from my home town. Represent! ;) There are amazing performances by The Roots, Wyclef, Joss Stone. All of the musicians in the film perform songs that helped transform an entire nation during the unpredictable 60's movement. I have seen a lot of footage from this time period, and I think this film is the best introduction for modern viewers. Young people especially will be able to relate to very old spirituals re-done in a modern voice. I was very impressed with how relevant the songs sounded to the world today. The thing about the spirituals and protest songs of the past that I love so much is that I can relate to them today. When I hear someone sing "Oh Freedom" I think about Egypt, Gay Rights, Immigration, War. I think of everything that is happening today.

Music plays such an important role in changing the way society thinks. This is one of the best films I have seen in demonstrating this. I checked, and you can watch it on Netflix instant streaming. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment