Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Busy With Peace and Music

"OM" Represents Our Common Human Vibration.
Buddha Was a Great Peace Teacher.
It's been a very exciting time for me lately. On Sunday, I sang in a Kundalini Yoga class, which is something I have dreamed of doing for a few years. The first time I experienced a live musician in a yoga class was about 5 years ago, and the experience was unbelievably powerful. I knew I had to do that one day, and I am so excited about joining Mia Haber in her Kundalini Yoga class on Sunday mornings at The Raven Spa in Silverlake.

I was definitely nervous. I started practicing Kundalini off and on about 2 years ago, and I just love it. Kundalini focuses heavily on sound current and uses Mantra, or singing, as a form of meditation. I was nervous, but mostly from excitement. I played two songs at the end and the connection between the class and myself was just wonderful! I felt peaceful and exhilarated from the exchange. Some of the students asked me to come back, and I am very much looking forward to next Sunday. Singing in the spiritual environment is just as much a benefit to my own practice as it is to theirs. It was really nice.

My Friend Kusala Teaching the Kids in English
After that, I drove to Long Beach and played a couple songs for the kids at the Phat To Temple. The kids had so much energy and seemed very excited to see us. I played "I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free" originally by Nina Simone. Even though the song is originally about the Civil Rights Movement, as I explained, I feel it applies to the meditators constant search for Peace. Freedom and Peace. The same feeling that just means no fear, liberation, calm. The kids were adorable as they clapped along with some endearingly off beat rhythm. Mental note: come up with a subtle rhythm lesson for these kids next month....

Today, my goal is to get some recording done. This is an area where I struggle. It's hard to get in front of the microphone because the perfectionist in me just constantly cringes, but I feel I need to have something for audiences to take away if the performance schedule is going to continue picking up the way it has been. Hopefully I will be able to post something here soon. Just gotta breath and be okay with the mistakes as they come....

Thanks for all of your support and feedback, dear readers! Your interest in this blog has given me the ammunition to keep going. Because of your comments, I continue to examine my personal code and work to become the best teacher in all areas of my life. My goal is to continue to spread the concept of peace through music. Thank you for helping along the way.

Peace and Music to all of you!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment