Monday, September 20, 2010

Hanson Grows Up


Remember the song "MmmBop?" Let's see... I was in high school, so that explains why I was totally mean-spirited in my reaction to these guys. Those of you who don't know who Hanson is, they are three brothers from Oklahoma who debuted their original song sometime in the 90's. They were 3 cute, smiley, midwestern kids who could actually play in a band *well* together. It was impressive. Still. I was all gothic and punk and had to pretend that I didn't like them. Such is the fate of many child stars. The kids adore them and the cranky teenagers dismiss them.
Well, it looks like Hanson will show me up after all!

I just read an article about their new album, and I have to say, I was very impressed with the way they personally came across in the interview. All seem totally comfortable with who they are, despite being teased for their "young" marriages (in their early 20's), and Mid-Western style upbringings. I applaud them for being proud of who they are.

Too often, I watch these "comebacks" from grown up child stars while nervously biting my nails wondering when the drug addiction is going to start (or at least be revealed) or the eating disorder, or spousal abuse charges.... you get the idea.

Hollywood loves talented kids, but once they grow up...

As a music teacher in Hollywood of some very talented kids (some who can boast very real connections), I ponder this ethic often. What happens when one of my students writes a song that everyone within earshot can tell it's a hit? I will surely be asked to state my opinion about whether or not I think it's healthy to expose a child to fame. That's a lot of pressure!

I think it's risky. I really do. Poor Dakota Fanning, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguliera, Michael Jackson. All child stars who had to deal with the world making fun of them when they stopped being of that "cute age."

But Hanson... Alright. I'll rethink it a bit. Maybe they will be the exception. I'm rooting for them. They seem to have the tough confidence that is necessary to keep making music even when the grown-ups-who-used-to-be-peers are smirking at them. You can do it, Hanson!!!

See the LA Times article here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-hanson-20100916,0,3090610.story

No comments:

Post a Comment