Saturday, September 11, 2010

Be Here Now


Every year, I ignore this day. I've always had a hard time re-vistiting tragic memories. I don't like thinking about what happened in NYC 9 years ago. Life changed dramatically here. Our culture freaked out and started blaming each other for anything we could think of. The political parties divided even further than before, and religious Americans seemed to take on a new enemy: Muslims. We don't have a time machine, so we cannot change the past. I personally cannot change the fact that my country invaded another country after being lied to by our own president. Things that my country participated in after the attacks made me sad. The fact that we are still trying to make this war justified makes me sad. The word "sad" almost feels like a totally irreverent adjective to use. Shocked, devastated, scared. I suppose those are better, but I guess you don't need words to describe it, because anyone who can read this and comprehend it was most likely there watching it on TV just like the rest of us. When this date comes up annually, I have to remind myself that the past cannot be changed, and all we have is this moment.

Today, in my yoga class, my teacher, Robyn Bennett read an inspiring quote by the wise Buddha:

 "The secret of health for both mind and body 
is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, 
but to live the present moment 
wisely and earnestly."

You and I cannot ignore any uncomfortable feelings that may have risen today. We have to sit with it and then move on. I am grateful that in this present moment, life is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment